Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Operating in the Here and Now

Have you ever been driving and when you stopped at a stop light and as you glanced to each side you wonder what the person next to you is thinking or you wonder where they are going? In times of stress I have wondered if anyone else is struggling like me, but putting on a benign expression so as not to give myself away. To me, this is an exercise in living in the Here and Now. Experiencing a moment in my life and using all my senses to look around. Knowing I am in my car, feeling anxious or stressed and seeing others around me and really noticing details about them.....it is almost as if time stops and the details are lush and bright. I am vividly drinking in my direct atmosphere and reacting in real time.
When I talk about living in the Here and Now, I do an exercise with my clients or a group to just stop for a moment and feel their arms, feel their breathing. I have them look around the room and hear the noises whether subtle or loud and look into my eyes and be right here right now.
It's disconcerting for some and freeing for others. It's certainly not an exercise we are used to given that we operate from 88% subconscious reactions throughout our day and only 12% is conscious thought.
Isn't that amazing? Only 12% of our actions are conscious decisions...the rest is an autopilot set by past experiences and similar situations.
So, suffice it to say, operating in the Here and Now allows us to make better decisions. Better in the way that our decision is based on our minds being fully aware and present. In a world of over stimulation, I am tempted to make a comparison to the movie "Monsters, Inc." where children were becoming harder and harder to scare so they had to bring in the biggest, baddest monsters to gain the scream energy they needed. Kids today are watching their parents texting while driving, emailing from the breakfast table and attending a webinar being hosted in China. In general TV shows are becoming more graphically rich and violent.
Taking the opportunity to be fully present takes practice and dedication. Questions must be answered as to what memories you want to retain....the look on your kid's face as they describe how another kid shot a blueberry out of their nose at lunch or the 527th text you get from your schizophrenic neighbor who lives with her invisible cat?
Living in the Here and Now is valuable to yourself as well as setting a good example. Take a moment and breathe. Be fully present. Make a better decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment